A summer of Pride
June is Pride Month
June is Pride Month and is especially important to mark as it’s been 20 years since Section 28 was repealed. Section 28 was a highly controversial amendment to the Local Government Act 1988, and banned local authorities and schools from “promoting” homosexuality.
Although the law was finally abolished in 2003 the implications of Section 28 are still visible today. NCH&C is dedicated to supporting the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual+ (LGBTQ+) colleagues and patients and amplifying the voices of those in this community. We should all remember how damaging homophobia was and still can be.
Ashley Ho, the new co-chair of the LGBTQ+ Staff Network, tells us why Pride is important to them. Have a read here.
There are lots of events coming up this summer that will celebrate the LGBTQ+ community:
- Norwich Trans Pride takes place on Saturday 17 June in Eaton Park between 12-6pm. The magnificent Alexa Darling will be your host for the occasion, and there will be workshops, performances, an arts market, a raffle and lots more.
- Norwich Pride takes place on 29 July and Kings Lynn and West Norfolk Pride is on 19 August. The Pride mission is to live in a city where everyone can feel safe and proud to be themselves. Look out for more information in Weekly Messages on both events, and how NCH&C will be getting involved. Contact: inclusion@ to participate in the Pride March stating Norwich or King’s Lynn Pride.
- New to 2023 is Dereham Pride! Called ‘Dereham Does Pride’, the celebration will take place on Saturday 1 July at the King’s Head Hotel in Norwich Street, Dereham, and will feature performers including drag queens, a rapper, and acrobats. Find out more here.
Why not take a moment to hear stories from some of our inspiring staff members? We have the following interesting, uplifting and motivational podcast episodes –
- Series 4, Episode 7 – LGBTQ+ at NCH&C with Ellie and Katrina
- Series 4, Episode 20 – Harri Smithson: They/Them
- Series 4, Episode 23 – Pride Month with Ashley Ho